Monday, November 3, 2014

Seven

Star Wars Birthday 3

This oldest girl of mine, the one that introduced me to motherhood, turned seven two weekends ago. Each birthday that comes and goes is such a bittersweet moment for me as a mama. I so much enjoy getting to watch my girls as they grow into the people that they are becoming, it's an absolute treat to get to see.

 However, I suspect there will always be that part of me that feels as though time is simply slipping by much too quickly and a longing desire to turn back time, just a bit, to enjoy it all over again.  I think that especially rings true of this particular birthday as she seems just a bit too old for me to wrap my sentimental mama brain around.  How can she possibly be seven already?  And yet, watching her every day I realize it's true.  Wise beyond her years this one is.  With a gentle spirit and a confidence surrounding her that astonishes me on a regular basis.  I am anxious to see what this next year will hold for this love of mine as the possibilities are nearly endless.

I realized while uploading these photos that I didn't capture a single one of her birthday table this year.  A good indication of the fact that we seemed to be quite busy in the days leading up to her special day.  Perhaps I should pull everything out again and stage the birthday table once more?  I don't think I will.  I think I will let this serve as a reminder that the days are short and often move quickly.

While we are beyond thankful for the family and friends that make time in their busy lives to celebrate with us, I have to admit I much prefer the years when the larger celebration doesn't fall on the actual birthday.  I love the slower pace of our special birthday traditions and the quiet mornings of snuggling up with the birthday girl.  I'm a bit selfish that way and want to hold on to all of those special moments for myself.  I know that isn't quite fair but I simply can't help myself sometimes.

But we did have an absolutely lovely celebration with family and all of her favorite things.  True to her nature she planned out each aspect of her day and at the end declared it to be a wonderful day.


Star Wars Birthday 1

Star Wars Birthday 2

Star Wars Birthday 5

Star Wars Birthday 6

Star Wars Birthday 7

Star Wars Birthday 8

Star Wars Birthday 9

No comments:

Post a Comment