Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thrifted cradle

The girls and I love thrift stores and yard sales, I'm pretty sure it's genetic.  They are perfect places to find antique treasures, unique pieces, and of course lots and lots of books.  The fact that you never know just what you might stumble across is what keeps us going back.  I love finding something that some might think has passed it's useful stage and giving it a new life and a new home.  The chance to save something from ending up in a landfill somewhere.  When I saw this little piece (on an online yardsale site no less) I knew it needed to come home with us. 



Doll bed 4

Isn't it perfect?  Okay, so it needed a bit of cleaning up but it was nothing that I couldn't handle.  Tighten a few screws, give it a good cleaning and polish, add a bit of batting and some new fabric and it was good as new.



Doll bed 3
 

 
See?  Not a total transformation, just a bit of new life.  Though as I was working on it I couldn't help but wonder about the little girl it may have belonged to before.  Did she have a favorite baby that she spent countless moments rocking to sleep in this cradle?  I like to think so, I like to think that those beautiful memories come with pieces like this just waiting for our littles to add their own special moments to its history. 

 
 
Doll bed 1
 

Kaitlyn thought it was the perfect place for her baby Lucy to spend a quiet afternoon.  "shhh...my baby is sleeping." she whispered to me as I quietly snapped this picture.  Just exactly the moment I was hoping for. 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment