Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Just Peachy

It is such a wonderful feeling to be able to take our food from the tree to our table and have the children involved in the entire process.  I almost forgot to share these photos from earlier this summer, but I'm glad to have stumbled upon them last night. 

 
Peaches 3

Peaches

Peaches 4
Kaitlyn mostly "picked' her peaches from our baskets but she was certainly proud of them.


Peaches 5

Of course we couldn't possibly eat them all fresh (though I will admit to giving it a great try), so some of the peaches found their way into some delicious peach jam.  This was a first for me but I couldn't be happier with how easy the recipe was and how incredible the end result turned out to be. 

Jam 3

Peach Jam

Peel and cut well ripened peaches into small pieces. 
Place into large kettle and heat very slowly.

When the peaches have begun to soften, crush them slightly.
Cook slowly for about 20 min or until softened.

Measure pulp and for each cup of pulp add 1 cup of sugar.

Return to heat and cook until thick (approx 20min)

Pour into your sterilized jars within 1/4" of the top and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 

Be sure to keep some out for immediate snacking though, trust me you'll be glad you did.  I used mine to top a warm slice of homemade bread...my sister found eating it with a spoon worked well too.  It would also make an excellent topping for ice cream. 

Jam
The labels came from the summer issue of Taproot Magazine

1 comment:

  1. Mellissa Ybarra8/29/12, 9:19 AM

    That looks divine. I can't wait to have my own garden and fruit trees!

    ReplyDelete