Thursday, July 17, 2014

Coral Reef

Ever since the mermaid birthday party we've been on mermaid overload. When the opportunity to join an ocean themed swap came about I knew that I needed to take the chance to add to our underwater pretend play.

We're still waiting for our box full of goodies to arrive but for my part of the swap I decided to branch out from my normal crafting supplies and try something new. I used a scroll saw to create these cute little wooden coral reef toys. They are going to be perfect for playscapes and pretend play.

I have to say I was a little nervous to try and make them but I had so much fun with the process.  I've already started a couple more woodworking projects since finishing these.  I might just have to ask Santa for my own new saw for Christmas.  And perhaps and extra large supply of spare blades.  Ahem.
     Coral 1

I wanted to add a little something extra just for fun so I included some hand sewn wool felt starfish. I used wool roving that we picked up at a local sheep farm recently to stuff them and did a simple blanket stitch around the outside.

I hope these pieces will be as well loved at their new homes as they are in ours.  I'm always so nervous whenever I mail something out because I'm just sure they're going to be hated.  I know it's ridiculous but I just can't seem to help it.  I always tell the girls to do their best and be proud of their work but it doesn't seem to be a lesson that I've quite learned yet.  Someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment