Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cupcake Birthday Bash Part 3 of 4: The Aprons

Okay anyone else getting tired of cupcake party pictures? I promise we're nearing the end and then we'll get on to bigger and better things. (well maybe just different things)

I decided if they were going to be little cupcake decorators they absolutely needed aprons. What kind of a party would it have been without the aprons? Exactly. Without further delay, here are the aprons...

This is the first apron I made and it almost kept the other kids from getting one. I used Simplicity 3949. This pattern is horrible. Okay, maybe that's not fair. It could have been me. Afterall we all know I'm not an expert seamstress but still. I didn't like that there were so many pieces, the directions didn't seem that clear and the overall result was not any better than the other's I ended up making. This apron took nearly as long to make as all the other's combined. It could have been the fact that it was the first one I made (my first apron ever) or it could be the pattern. Needles to say, I'm blaming the pattern. It's still cute though. I love the dog bone fabric I used for the pockets and the straps. I didn't have any other fabric to match the green that wasn't girly so it was a choice of necessity but I love how it turned out. I didn't want it to look girly since he was already going to be the only little boy at a cupcake party. He really liked it though.

The rest of the aprons turned out great. I used McCalls 5720 and it was much better. They were quick and easy to put together and turned out pretty cute. This time I made each one a little different just to play around a little. On these next two I used the same fabric on the pockets and straps but a different main color. All these fabrics (including the one above) came out of my stash so I was super excited to use some of it up.

I absolutely love this one! I love the way the fabrics pop against each other. I have put the rest of these fabrics aside and will be making the Sweet Pea some type of outfit in the very near future.

And since it was a cupcake party I had to run out and buy some cupcake fabric. Okay, maybe I didn't need it but come on. It's seriously fun.

The birthday girl's apron. I made the cupcakes the main focus here. I was really happy with how it turned out. I like the yellow with it, gives it a little bit of a switch up. I wanted to make the Sweet Pea's similar because they are into super copy cat mode here lately. They each have to have anything the other one has. (It's actually quite obnoxious) I didn't want them to be identical though so I switched the placement of the fabrics for the next one.

Here's the one I made for the Sweet Pea. I almost like this one better, it's not as loud with just a small amount of the cupcake fabric. I made one large pocket in the front but sewed a dividing seam down the middle so technically she has two pockets. It needed a large amount of pocket space. Everything now needs a large amount of pocket space.


Stay tuned for post 4 of 4. Yea, finally the last one. It's a better shot of the outfit (well just a skirt really) that I made for dd to wear.

1 comment: