Monday, July 18, 2011

Smart Summer: Forest Friendly Week

We checked the calendar last night and were excited to see that we are entering Forest Friendly Week of the Smart Summer Challenge. This week is going to be perfect for my two little nature loving girls and I can not wait for all the fun activities we have planned. We'll be getting out and learning all about nature, insects, animals and the great outdoors this week. I made a quick list of some of the activities we'll be doing this week...

Making a fairy garden
Homemade bird feeders
Making Binoculars from cardboard tubes
Painting animal and insect rocks
Listening for animal sounds in our own habitat
Making some forest animal finger puppets
Putting on a puppet show
Playing animal charades
Learning about animal tracks

This list certainly isn't set in stone and I'm likely to add several things to it as the week goes on and I see all the other great activities going on this week on the Smart Summer Challenge Facebook page.

And I'm happy to say that I finally came up with the perfect use for my new basket.

Book Basket
I picked this basket up at a yard sale a couple weekends ago for the incredible price of one dollar! I knew it would be perfect for holding something but hadn't come up with the perfect collection, until today. As I was pulling out a few books that went along with this week's theme I spotted my basket sitting empty across the room. Perfect! It's the perfect size to hold books that can be rotated out depending on our study theme or the changing seasons. Not bad for a dollar, not bad at all.


1 comment: