Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bento Madness


Okay it's official...I'm addicted to Bento Boxes. I've been researching them and looking at pictures of them for a while now trying to decide what the best one to get would be when I had a frisbee to the forehead type moment. I found a blog post on Another Lunch about the different styles of Bento Boxes and what she liked/disliked about them when she mentioned the Sassy box. Here comes the frisbee...I *have* that box. In fact I've had it for well over a year now. I bought it when Kinsley was little bitty to pack lunches or snacks for her if someone was going to watch her during meal times. It was perfect because it has three interior containers with individual lids but as she got bigger I stopped using it and it had been sitting in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets until today.

Needless to say I was so excited to see all of her posts about lunches and snacks specifically using the Sassy Box. I immediately went to the kitchen and got to work making my first Bento lunch. This is absolutely perfect for Kinsley because this is exactly how she likes to eat. She loves to have what we call a "variety plate" and we typically use the little plastic plates with the divided sections. The great thing about the box is that it can be made ahead of time and put in the refrigerator or taken along on an outing.

I could hardly wait for her to wake up from her nap so I could see what she thought. Thankfully she was THRILLED with her special lunch and insisted that her dinner was also in the "benbo". Now don't judge my box too harshly, afterall it was my very first attempt and I had to go with what i had on hand in the kitchen already. I have so many more great ideas for future boxes though. I just need to make a trip to the store.

Today she had baby carrots with ranch to dip, blueberries and a ham and cheese sandwich cut into a number two. There are actually two sandwiches stacked on top of one another. Dinner was very much the same (at her request) except in place of the sandwich was ham cubes and cheese stars. So much fun.

And not only am I obsessed, she is too. She's already talking about what she wants in her box for breakfast tomorrow. Not to mention that she sat with me and looked through the blog at the other lunch combos and has requested foods that normally she wouldn't eat. This might be the best thing to ever happen to meal time at our house.

Except that I now want a box for myself and all the cute little accessories that go with them. The picks and mini forks are too cute to resist. This might be bad...

1 comment:

  1. that looks great! love the boxes, they make it easy to eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete